RE: brakes

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brakes
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:12:58 -0700
Don,
I don't know if I am calling the part by the proper name since I didn't have
the article in front of me. I now have the article and it mentions a small
bleed hole that allows the movement of brake fluid in and out of the master
cylinder reservoir. It states that silicone fluid can swell the master
cylinder primary cup so that this bleed hole is covered and pressure can
build up inside the hydraulic circuit.

I had used silicone brake fluid in several other British cars in the past
without problem (Jag E-type, MGB and MGTF), but I have heard of people who
had problems and I actually was on a trip once where an MGTC's rear brakes
were getting hot due to what we thought was the use of silicone fluid. This
article was the first that I had seen that actually explained the
phenomenon. However I had opted on the Morgan to use regular DOT 4 fluid.

Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB