newsletters

Re: Scanners

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Scanners
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:55:34 -500
On 19 Oct 96 at 11:11, TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking at a catalog I received from AOL....there is an "EasyPhoto
> Reader" listed for $199...

Scanners... For around $99-120 you can get a fairly hi-rez (800 dpi or better)
colour handheld scanner. Tehy work pretty well, and you can also scan out of
books and such, which you can't do with a photo scanner. The photo scanner is
probably easier to feed pictures to. Flatbeds do it all, at the higest cost.

> Has anyone used these things and does anyone know if I could use it to scan
> color photo's and turn them into black and white for use in my newsletter

I used to take pictures to a local shop and get halftones made. The scanner
gets rid of cut & paste, and is versitiile.

You can scan in colour or B&W, at a variety of resolutions. somewhere around
2-300 works well for newsletter stuff. Any decent graphics/photo editing
package will let you do a lot of manipulation- shrink/expand, zoom, crop,
adjust brightness & contrast, convert to B&W, change colours, special effects,
etc.

There are some excellent full featured shareware applications available on the
net. LView Pro, and Paint Shop Pro are amoung the best for Windows.
(Software.com is a great shareware search site, at:
http://www.shareware.com/

BTW, if someone would like to make some newsletter editor Web pages-
references, tips, FAQs, etc- there's room on the Team.Net server. let me
know!

   ________
  /___  _  \        | Roger Garnett      rwg1@cornell.edu
 /|   ||  \ \       | "The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |      | www.wayward.team.net
| | \  |   | |      | team.net webs: www.team.net/www/
 \|  \ |__/ /       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        | SAFETY FAST!