newsletters

Re: Scanners

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Scanners
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:15:20 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Roger Garnett wrote:

> Bob Lang writes:
>
> > The only drawback is that you need expen$$$ive
> > software to edit images and to get them to look okay in the final
> > product. Photoshop, for example, costs big dollars.
>
> One package I mentioned, PaintShop Pro (Windows, win95), is available  to
> download free in fully funcitional form from software ftp sites, (check out
> www.shareware.com) and costs only $59 to register. It has lots of
> functions, including format conversions, scanning, resizing, Jpeg
>compression,
> etc.

Some of us still use Macs. ;-). There may be similar shareware/freeware
for Mac, but I'm not aware of them.

> > Not to mention how "full" the old hard disk will get!
>
> by saving pictures as compressed jpeg's, you'll save lots of space over raw
> tiff or bmp. also, pictures for newsletters rarely need to be scanned at more
> than 200-300 dpi.

Yes, but I typically have 20 or more scanned images of which I select
maybe 7 to 10 for an issue. It adds up fast, even with compressed TIFF.
My issues have been averaging about 3 MB per issue, and I have scads of
images that I have not used adding up to more storage.

I guess the point of the message is that the days of newsletters that are
less than 1MB in size are long gone.

Good point about compressed jpeg etc., however.

bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? As many as it takes.