newsletters

Re: Scanners

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Scanners
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:14:34 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking at a catalog I received from AOL....there is an "EasyPhoto
> Reader" listed for $199....this is apparently a scanner for up to 5x7
> photo's.  Has anyone used these things and does anyone know if I could use
>  it to scan color photo's and turn them into black and white for use in my
> newsletter (and adequately printed on a std Xerox machine)...??

I have an 8-bit scanner, no color for this guy. I "bought it" in a trade
worth about $200. It came with some OCR software too. It works out pretty
well for what I use it for: I OCR stuff I get from members and I scan in
any pix that I get. The only drawback is that you need expen$$$ive
software to edit images and to get them to look okay in the final
product. Photoshop, for example, costs big dollars. I happen to have an
older version of Photoshop, but if I were buying new, I'd get the best
package deal I could. That means buy a flatbed scanner that comes with
OCR and phot retouching S/W.

> My newsletter would look a lot better with some club photo's in it but I just
> don't have time to run out and get the color snaps reproduced for printing.
>  I'm trying the Seattle FilmWorks film to floppy right now and I'll let you
> all know how that works out but it is a little expensive.

Yep, going "digital" is not cheap. Not to mention how "full" the old hard
disk will get! How about asking your membership if anybody has a scanner
etc. That's how we used to do it until the scanner guy sold me his flatbed...

> Tnx, Terry

yer welcome,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Never enough!