newsletters

Re: Scanners

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Scanners
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:13:53 -0500
Bob Lang writes:

> The only drawback is that you need expen$$$ive
> software to edit images and to get them to look okay in the final
> product. Photoshop, for example, costs big dollars.

One package I mentioned, PaintShop Pro (Windows, win95), is available  to
download free in fully funcitional form from software ftp sites, (check out
www.shareware.com) and costs only $59 to register. It has lots of
functions, including format conversions, scanning, resizing, Jpeg compression,
etc.

> Not to mention how "full" the old hard disk will get!

by saving pictures as compressed jpeg's, you'll save lots of space over raw
tiff or bmp. also, pictures for newsletters rarely need to be scanned at more
than 200-300 dpi.

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   CU Distance Education   | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  115 Warren Hall         | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-1623          | Safety Fast!