Re: Tool for a loved one

To: shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Mike Frerichs <frerichs@tconl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:28:13 -0600
I was told it was the reversing lever that was the subject of the lawsuit.  I
had a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet made before that time that had the lever hanging
down that I liked so well.  Something wore out inside of it while I was working
as a mechanic about '84-'85, and when I took it back to Sears they were happy
to replace it, but all their ratchets now had a dial on the back that could be
used to turn the socket without moving the handle (occasionally useful) and a
sort of three pointed star in the middle of the dial to reverse direction.  It
works, but I don't like it near as well as the lever.

A few years ago I wore out that ratchet also and took it back to Sears for
another replacement.  To my delight, I found that they were back to the old
style using a lever for direction.  The release button was back also, and the
spinner dial was gone.  Go figure.

Now if my 1/2" spinner dial type would just wear out so I could replace it....
Looks like it ain't going to happen though.  I put about 700 ft/lbs on it the
other day (with a four foot piece of pipe) to break loose a wheel hub nut, and
it didn't hurt it at all.

Just my version of the hearsay.
Mike Frerichs