Re: Tool for a loved one

To: Aaron Bergman <bergman@oldihc.org>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:48:19 +0000
Aaron Bergman wrote:

> If they contract their work out to different bidders, then wouldn't they
> have a set of guidelines that all tools must meet certain specifications-

Yes,

They would ask for bids based on a set of specifications.  The proposals
are then evaluated as to cost, perceived ability to perform, assessment
of meeting specs, etc.  It IS the same basic process that the military
would follow, only more so, the tools would presumably be bid against a
set of MIL-specs, plus other applicable government requirements (company
must have non-discrimination policies, female or miniority owned status
or subcontracts with same, etc, etc.).

BTW, I doubt very much that the military would be procurring anything
from a moreign country (unless of reivial momentary value).  Federal
regulations require (in general) domestic procurements. "Surplus" stores
are probably obtaining their stock from a variety of sources.

-Roger