Re: Tool for a loved one

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: "Aaron Bergman" <bergman@oldihc.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:11:11 -0600

>  Sears don't *make* tools.  They periodically put a contract out for low
> bidder.  Quality continues to decline.
If they contract their work out to different bidders, then wouldn't they
have a set of guidelines that all tools must meet certain specifications-
that way they would always be the same no matter who made them?  Or is it
just whoever will do a passable job for a low price- wait don't answer that.
It must be the same way with the US Military.  My brother bought a pair of
army boots for work shoes from an army surplus store.  They were made in
China, imagine that.  A communist country making our army's boots.  And the
boots were pretty worthless.
I haven't broken any Craftsman tools, and mine are all fairly new.  I did
buy a set of combination wrenches this past summer and they have worked
fine.  My one complaint is that the plastic toolbox that my small socket and
wrench set came in has  broken in just about every place where it hinges.
Would they replace something like this?  I guess I don't abuse my tools hard
enough to break them.  My general rule is, if you have to lean on something
hard enough that the wrench breaks first, then the problem is somewhere
else.
Aaron