Re: Tool for a loved one

To: "thom kuby" <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:08:59 -0800
Scott Hall wrote:
> does anybody know why
> this would be?  steel getting hard to come by?

IMO Sears has had financial troubles several times over the last 30
years or so, and has responded by cheapening their products (without
lowering prices to match), as well as indulging in outright fraudulent
behaviour. (They've been convicted several times, including I believe in
1981 when they were convicted of stealing the idea for the pushbutton
ratchets from it's inventor.)

I like the Craftsman hand tools that I bought 30 years ago, and in all
this time I think I've broken one socket and a couple of 1/2-3/8
adapters.  My breaker bar takes all kinds of abuse (my SOP is to use a
5' length of pipe on it to loosen lugnuts on my motorhome) although I
try to treat my ratchets with more respect (since they are nearly
irreplaceable now).

However, I refuse to set foot in a Sears store, except to get
replacements for the few things I've broken.  I was _almost_ tempted
this morning, they had many tools on sale for 1/2 price, but I can buy
crappy tools cheaper than that anytime.

Randall