Re: Turning brake rotor

To: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turning brake rotor
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:24:26 -0600
Something no one else has mentioned (including me):

If the rotors are non-vented:
  - Older vehicles can usually be turned down once if they are not grooved
too deeply
  - Newer non-vented rotors should be considered throwaway.
If the rotors are vented
  If they have worn evenly, they can be turned as much as .060, which is
2 -3 rounds. A good rule of thumb is, if the chamfer or bevel at the outer
edge is gone, the rotor should not be turned.
   The bevel/chamfer  test is also good for brake drums.
  It's OK to leave a groove or two in a rotor, like where the pad rivits
have machined a deep groove.  Long as the faces are parallel and smooth.
  Most drums and rotrs have a minimum spec  for thickness cast into it. If
not, a parts store can look it up. Generally, it's .090 for drums, .060 for
vented rotors, and .025-.030 for non-vented rotors.

Note that some late-models have a composite rotor, which means the center
"hat" is stamped steel, while the outer is cast iron. These can
theoretically be turned, but they are cheap enough most people don't bother.
Most parts houses do not have the adapters anyway, and they will screw up
the rotor and possibly not admit it.   Just buy a new one.
   A quick way to tell a composite rotor: The edge of the "hat" where it
bends 90-degrees from the mounting surface will be rounded. Full cast rotors
are squared off in profile.

Rex Burkheimer
 J-CON Coordinator, WM Automotive Whse      Fort Worth TX
Texas Region SCCA     FC #19    SRX7 #39
rex@txol.net  rex@ceoexpress.com

"There is pleasure sure in being mad which none but madmen know."  John
Dryden