[Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> mail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 16:23:49 -0400
I have a 4 cylinder MG engine that was removed from a car in good
working order.  I know the previous owner and I trust him.  The
engine has been stored without valve cover, oil pan, manifolds, etc
in a working garage.  It basically just sat in the corner for a year
or so.  I would like to use this engine as is, without disassembling
further.  My question is, how would you clean this before use?  I
could use a hose, but I am concerned that water will get trapped in
inaccessible places.  I also considered spraying it down with
WD-40.  They make a "big blast" version with a wide area
spray.  There isn't any major dirt I'm trying to deal with, but I
figure a couple of grains of sand could have landed in it
somewhere.  It seems like a rinse would be a good idea.  Thoughts?

-Steve T.