Re: [Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?
From: Karl Vacek <stearman809@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 16:13:21 -0500
--===============1370695520159463876==

------------1788f48940d2e9828bfad50e4

Kerosene
I used to rinse down my race car engine in the driveway with kerosene when
doing bearings or rings.  Didn't have garage space so the great outdoors
was my garage

On April 1, 2021 3:25:09 PM Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> wrote:

> I have a 4 cylinder MG engine that was removed from a car in good
> working order.  I know the previous owner and I trust him.  The
> engine has been stored without valve cover, oil pan, manifolds, etc
> in a working garage.  It basically just sat in the corner for a year
> or so.  I would like to use this engine as is, without disassembling
> further.  My question is, how would you clean this before use?  I
> could use a hose, but I am concerned that water will get trapped in
> inaccessible places.  I also considered spraying it down with
> WD-40.  They make a "big blast" version with a wide area
> spray.  There isn't any major dirt I'm trying to deal with, but I
> figure a couple of grains of sand could have landed in it
> somewhere.  It seems like a rinse would be a good idea.  Thoughts?
>
> -Steve T.
>

> --

------------1788f48940d2e9828bfad50e4

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
ace car engine in the driveway with kerosene when doing bearings or rings.&=
nbsp; Didn't have garage space so the great outdoors was my garage&nbsp;</d=
ptonline.net&gt; wrote:</div>
ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080; padding-left: 0.75ex;">
 in good&nbsp;</div>
t him. &nbsp;The&nbsp;</div>
folds, etc&nbsp;</div>
orner for a year&nbsp;</div>