Re: [Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?

To: shop-talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net> 2903e8d5c8f:6.0.369,18.0.761,17.0.607.475.0000000 definitions=2021-04-02_09:2021-04-01_01,2021-04-02_09,2020-04-07_01 signatures=0 spamscore=0 phishscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxlogscore=999 adultscore=0 suspectscore=0 malwarescore=0 bulkscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.12.0-2009150000 definitions=main-2104020110
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] clean used engine before use?
From: Thomas Coradeschi <tjcora@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 11:12:31 -0400
Steve: I am firmly of the belief that the only thing which should go near the
valve train or the crankcase is motor oil. For an engine thatâ??s been sitting,
making sure you have lubrication is key.

My Dad was a bona-fide MG guy for years - used one of his (the â??78, I think)
as a daily driver for quite some time in the late 80s and was very active in
our local MG club. Based on what Iâ??ve seen, those pushrod motors are pretty
much the textbook definition of mechanically bulletproof. Electrics of the era?
Errrr, not so much.

Iâ??d suggest that you do the following.

Blow off any loose crud you see with compressed air (stuff rags in the intake
ports first). Re-install the valve cover, pan, manifolds, etc and get the motor
in the car and hooked up to cooling, electrical, fuel, etc.

Before you fire it, pull the plugs and disable the ignition (pull the hot wire
off the coil or ground its output), then spin the engine over until you have
positive indication of oil pressure - either on a gage, if it has one, or by
seeing the idiot light go out.

Once thatâ??s done, reinstall the plugs, hook up the ignition and fire it up,
again observing whatever indicators you have relative to oil pressure.

My $0.02, and worth what you paid for it:-)

Tom Coradeschi
tjcora@icloud.com