Spitfire Dealer Service Notices

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Dealer Service Notices
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:55:15 -0700
Yesterday I was over at a friend's house and we were looking through an
old notebook of Triumph Factory Service Notices for dealers.

As he read off the headings (I left my glasses at home so he was reading
for both of us) I stopped him when he got to one that was titled,
"Spitfire Rear Brake Hoses".  I said, "Wait, let see if I can guess what
it says."  My theory was it referred to the tendency of the rear hoses
to rub against the axle shafts and wear the hoses, causing a very unsafe
condition.  Sure enough, I was correct.

The notice calls for each car that is in the shop for any service to
have the rear hoses checked for flat spots caused by wear.  Then with
the suspension in both up and down extremes check for clearance from the
shaft.  Improper clearance is to be corrected by adjusting the attaching
points of the hose brackets.

I noticed some time ago that both mine and my sons Spits exhibited the
problem.  I corrected mine by replacing the hoses with braided stainless
ones and on my son's car by taking some of the springs from a pair of
front hoses and mounting them on the rear hoses.  That way, if the hose
tries to contact the axle, the spring will rub and not the rubber hose.

But the real purpose of this message is to have everybody check those
hoses at the first opportunity.

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer