Cockpit heat

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cockpit heat
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:16:48 EDT

--part0_903921409_boundary

Ryan,

Make sure your tunnel cover is COMPLETELY secured to the firewall.  It is a
little hard to get all the screws tight but it is critical if you want to
stay cool.  Also, the front part of my cover is not in very good shape so it
does not seal very well.  I placed a long flat piece of metal against the
front of the cover where it flanges out to stiffen it.  Drill a hole in the
strip of metal to line up with the hole in the cover and screw thru it
attaching it to the firewall.  After doing this to mine, I found that I no
longer needed to consider the insulation.  I must have had a pretty good size
gap that I could not really see.  Even if you still insulate you should check
this or your insulation will do you no good.  This took care of about 90% of
my heat problem.

Good luck,
David Gates
'73 Spitfire 1500
Hawaii
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm   <--- Spitfires List Rogues
Gallery.  New entries and a few improvements.  Work continues.  Check it out.

In a message dated 8/23/98 2:05:21 PM Hawaiian Standard Time, shmitty99@
hotmail.com writes:

>  > Subj:       Cockpit heat
>  >  Date:     8/23/98 2:05:21 PM Hawaiian Standard Time
>  >  From:     shmitty99@hotmail.com (Ryan Smith)
>  >  Sender:   owner-spitfires@autox.team.net
>  >  To:       spitfires@autox.team.net
>  >
>  >  Ok guys I've been quiet for awhile so that means I've actually been
>  >  working instead of asking questions.  I am fairly satisfied that
>  >  everything under my hood err bonet is working "correctly" so now its on
>  >  to cosmetic and creature comforts.
>  >
>  >  First order of business is to figure out how to turn off the oven effect
>  >  that the firewall of my car has.  It feels like I have the heater on or
>  >  something and on black vinyl you will cook after a few minutes.  I
>  >  remember reading about some ppl using insulation of somesort to combat
>  >  this but I don't have any specifics.  So what I need is some good home
>  >  remedies to this.  Aesthetics under the hood is of little value to me.
>  >  I'd rather be cool than have a pristine engine bay.
>  >
>  >  thanks
>  >
>  >  Ryan Smith
>  >  Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
>  >  Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire
>  >

--part0_903921409_boundary

Make sure your tunnel cover is COMPLETELY secured to the firewall.  It is a
little hard to get all the screws tight but it is critical if you want to stay
cool.  Also, the front part of my cover is not in very good shape so it does
not seal very well.  I placed a long flat piece of metal against the front of
the cover where it flanges out to stiffen it.  Drill a hole in the strip of
metal to line up with the hole in the cover and screw thru it attaching it to
the firewall.  After doing this to mine, I found that I no longer needed to
consider the insulation.  I must have had a pretty good size gap that I could
not really see.  Even if you still insulate you should check this or your
insulation will do you no good.  This took care of about 90% of my heat
problem.

Good luck,
David Gates
'73 Spitfire 1500
Hawaii
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm   <--- Spitfires List Rogues
Gallery.  New entries and a few improvements.  Work continues.  Check it out.

In a message dated 8/23/98 2:05:21 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
shmitty99@hotmail.com writes:

> Subj:  Cockpit heat
>  Date:        8/23/98 2:05:21 PM Hawaiian Standard Time
>  From:        shmitty99@hotmail.com (Ryan Smith)
>  Sender:      owner-spitfires@autox.team.net
>  To:  spitfires@autox.team.net
>
>  Ok guys I've been quiet for awhile so that means I've actually been
>  working instead of asking questions.  I am fairly satisfied that
>  everything under my hood err bonet is working "correctly" so now its on
>  to cosmetic and creature comforts.
>
>  First order of business is to figure out how to turn off the oven effect
>  that the firewall of my car has.  It feels like I have the heater on or
>  something and on black vinyl you will cook after a few minutes.  I
>  remember reading about some ppl using insulation of somesort to combat
>  this but I don't have any specifics.  So what I need is some good home
>  remedies to this.  Aesthetics under the hood is of little value to me.
>  I'd rather be cool than have a pristine engine bay.
>
>  thanks
>
>  Ryan Smith
>  Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
>  Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire