Re: Cockpit heat

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cockpit heat
From: Ray Bryant <photoray@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:10:41 -0500
Ryan,
I just glued a heat shield/sound deadener (purchased at Pep Boys) to the
underside of my plastic after-market transmission tunnel.  Since the tunnel
is plastic, I am not worried about moisture.  I found that it works great.
The PO didn't have carpet over the tunnel, so it really got hot before I
insulated.  I haven't put carpet in yet either and the tunnel is nice and
cool now even after a long drive.  Be sure to use the best heat proof
adhesive.  I also found that a bead of silicone calk around the edge of the
heat shield will keep the wind from separating the foil from the
insulation.  Now when I do re-carpet the interior, heat will not be a
concern and the sound deadening will be even greater.

First order of business is to figure out how to turn off the oven effect
that the firewall of my car has.  It feels like I have the heater on or
something and on black vinyl you will cook after a few minutes.  I
remember reading about some ppl using insulation of somesort to combat
this but I don't have any specifics.  So what I need is some good home
remedies to this.  Aesthetics under the hood is of little value to me.
I'd rather be cool than have a pristine engine bay.

thanks

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire

Ray Bryant
Keller, Texas
'73 Spitfire 1500 (FM6879U), Daily driver
http://www.flash.net/~photoray