Re: Electric Fuel Pump

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pump
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:42:07 -0800

Bob Norway wrote:

> Joe,
> I would imagine the same way as a mechanical pump. Now I might be wrong, but I
> thought the fuel is in the carb bowl to get the engine started at first. That
> is unless you've also got a leaky bowl problem.

The mechanical pump works off the cam so it operates when the engine
turns (running or not).  On an electric pump, there must be a flow of
electricity and if it only operates when the engine is "running" (as
opposed to turning), it will not pump gas up to the carb.  Sorta Catch
22!!!

Fuel will evaporate or drain out of the float bowls if left for periods
without use, so it is not unusual to find them dry on our beloved LBC's.

> I'm just thinking that if the engine stops, and for some reason I don't turn
> the key off right away, the electric pump is going to build up pressure and
> blow something out. Or am I just being a bit over protective?

Generally, pumps are designed to self regulate.  Some actually shut
themselves off, while others connect to the fuel return line and pump
the overage back into the tank.  I don't know if your car has a return
line, so it is important to get the correct type for your car.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer