RE: Radio Installation

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Radio Installation
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:40:47 -0000
Rick,

My '77 Spit did come with a radio - but you can't actually hear it when
you do above about 50mph!  I suggest you get yourself a decent set of
speakers, and maybe an amp too - that's what I'm planning on doing when
I've got some cash (don't know if the alternator's up to supplying an
amp, maybe someone else can help on that one).

As far as fitting it is concerned, a couple of other people have already
mentioned problems with actually physically getting it into the car, and
I also haven't got any idea where to put speakers (mine are currently
lying on the shelf, not actually attached in any way).  But no one has
mentioned the electrical connections yet, so at the risk of offending
you because you know this stuff already (hey, I know it, so it can't be
that hard!) here goes:

Connecting up the electrics on a Mk 3 or later (which yours must be, if
it's '77) shouldn't be a problem at all.  (Before that, Spits had
positive earth, and most radios expect negative earth, so you have to
shield the radio from anything which could be earthed.)  According to
the Haynes Purchase & Restoration Guide, all the wires are colour-coded
according to whether there's power in them when the ignition is on,
ignition is off, all the time, only when there's a flying saucer within
100 miles (ok, maybe not) so you just need to decide whether the radio
should turn on/off as you turn the key (a matter for personal preference
- I always think it should) and then pick the correct colour wire for
the +12V connection.  (This is the theory, anyway - I haven't actually
tried it yet.)  Off the top of my head, I can't remember which colour is
supposed to mean what, but if you can't find the info yourself, and if
nobody else knows (which I find very hard to believe!) I'll look it up
for you.

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500