Re: Radio Installation

To: "Dean Dashwood" <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Radio Installation
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:33:32 -0000
>- Snip
>ignition is off, all the time, only when there's a flying saucer within
>100 miles (ok, maybe not) so you just need to decide whether the radio
>should turn on/off as you turn the key (a matter for personal preference
>- I always think it should) and then pick the correct colour wire for
>the +12V connection.  (This is the theory, anyway - I haven't actually
>tried it yet.)  Off the top of my head, I can't remember which colour is
>supposed to mean what, but if you can't find the info yourself, and if
>nobody else knows (which I find very hard to believe!) I'll look it up
>for you.
>
>Dean Dashwood
>'77 Spit 1500
>---------------------------------

My radio is connected to the cunning bullet connector atached to a white
wire.  It's the connector which was put there by the factory to provide
power to the radio.  The wire is connected to the AUX power line.  i.e. its
on is ignition switch positions I (stearing lock off) and II(ignition), and
off in 0 and III(start).  I have then run a wire allong the wiring loom into
the back which connects to this.   This goes into my Alpine 20+20W RMS AMP
in the boot under the petrol tank miles away from any criminal imagination.
The amp is powered by the purple wire to the boot light, but activated via
it's builtin relay from the radio.  Idealy I would have had a raido with an
electric arial socket to turn on the amp, and wind an electric arial.  The
raido drives the speakers in the front and the amp the ones in the back.  I
can't here the ones in the front.  I then plug in a personal CD player to
the tape deck the stand of which is mounted on the cross support under the
passangers legs.  After much experimentation this was the easeyest to reach
place with the least amount of skipping.

I then had to replace the rear spring of the car to stop it skiping.