Re: Spit Longevity

To: Trspit1500@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Longevity
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:55:56 EDT
HA - My car supposedly only has 60K on it, of which I have put on 3K. I have
basically replaced the car in those 3 thousand miles. That includes a new
engine, new throwout bearing, new brake rotors and pads, rebuilt rear brakes,
new rear end, new axle, new u joints all the way around, new alternator, new
rack bushings, new tie rod ends, new muffler, and a rebuilt carb. All of
those things NEEDED fixing because they were broken and the car would not run
with them as they were. Many of those things went while I was on the road, so
I had to drive home without a clutch, or with a self-destructed engine, or
without my front brakes.  On top of that, wild things have happened like the
distributor cap clips vibrating off, silt in the gas tank blocking the fuel
pickup, the emissions equipment becoming disconnected and taking out the #3
cylinder, and numerous other stories. All the while I had been going to a
scheister mechanic who was ripping me off for bad parts and charging for
services not performed. Basically, my experience with Triumphs has been that
if you think it is bad now, it will onl get worse and more expensive. And if
the car is running now, it will be a matter of days before the next part
breaks, so enjoy it while you can.

Kris Powell