Re: Spit Longevity

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Longevity
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:30:31 -0700 (PDT)
--- SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:

> HA - My car supposedly only has 60K on it, of which I have put on 3K.
> I have
> basically replaced the car in those 3 thousand miles. That includes a

<snip>

> services not performed. Basically, my experience with Triumphs has
> been that
> if you think it is bad now, it will onl get worse and more expensive.
> And if
> the car is running now, it will be a matter of days before the next
> part
> breaks, so enjoy it while you can.

I think it all boils down to how you drive it, and the overall
condition of the car when you get it.  Obviously, KP's car was a
'fixer-upper' that needed lots of attention to get it right - but, it
sounds like you knew that when you started.

Take, for instance, my car, a '71 MKIV Spitfire that I bought almost 2
years ago for $1350, but that came w/ an extra motor, 2 trannies, and
boxes of parts.

My Spit needs paint, a general thorough cleaning of EVERYTHING,
interior carpet (there is none), seats mounted down, dashboard
repair/replacement, the dash needs to be bolted down (still isn't
Isaac, I know, I know), a new exhaust system, a valve job, the coil
mounted properly (it's on the firewall, sitting there), new tires,
wheels cleaned and painted, brakes worked on (rear drums squeal -
probably needs lubrication), and umpteen interior padding/pieces that I
don't know exist until I see other 'complete' spitfires.

However, my maintenance/repair schedule has been as follows:

Maintenance:
Oil & Oil Filter Changes every 3-5k miles
Air in the tires (periodically)
Gas in the tank (periodically)  ;-)

Repairs:
Gas leak - I tightened up the fittings on the fuel pump, and the hose
clamps.  Stopped leaking.
Sealed the trans tunnel to stop fumage.  Ongoing project.
Sealed the holes in the firewall to stop fumage.  Ongoing project.

Currently, the car needs more sealing/grommets, needs a valve job BAD
(hence, it's name, 'Ol Smokey), and the alternator may be bad (or just
weak) - it tends to kill the battery.  I've just charged it, and will
get it checked when I take it in for the valve work.

However, I just drove it last month for 10 hours, on a rally, and have
driven it quite a bit in the two years I've owned it.  The reason the
work is progressing so slowly?  It's a blast to drive, and too fun to
take off the road and refurbish properly.  I'll do that when winter
comes - shoot, though, down here it only lasts a week or two.  ;-)

My point is, once you get the major bugs sorted, and get into a regular
check/maintenance cycle, and more time under your belt to 'know' the
car, it'll be more reliable and you will tend to forget the attention
it requires and focus on the enjoyment it provides...

Keep the faith

Chip Mautz
Secretary/Treasurer, Georgia Triumph Association
'71 Triumph Spitfire MKIV - 'Ol Smokey
'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 'Ol Reliable  ;-)
===
I've got a PBS mind in an MTV world - Jimmy Buffett