Re: Spit Longevity

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Longevity
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:57:08 -0400
My spit is an '80, I'm the second owner.  The original owner swears that
this car had 212,212.2 miles when I purchased it.  I have put another 8K on
it since with little to no trouble.  The engine has NEVER been apart.  The
transmission, OD and differential have all been rebuilt (as you would have
expected).  The engine burns little oil except when first starting it after
it is warm (worn valve guides), has lots of power (power being a relative
term) and is the most fun vehicle I've ever had to drive (including
motorcycles).

I love the car so much that I've been driving it for the last 8 days, back
and forth to work, about 45 miles each way, at 70+ mph on the NY thruway.

My experience is that Triumphs are great, great fun and reliable (when
properly maintained).  I know and trust the previous owner and believe that
he did do all the required maintenance at the required intervals.

At 05:08 PM 7/13/99 -0700, Thomas Carney wrote:

>   Ok so from what I have heard Triumphs are not too reliable, infact
>most british cars are deemed unreliable.
>It is best to buy a car that needs to be restored if you want
>reliability.  That way everything can be taken car at once while
>everything is all over your garage.  Might cost more at the time but
>could be benificial in the long run.  I have been driving my GT6+ for
>less than a year consistently and have put about 4k on it.  Only time
>it left me stranded was a faulty locknut.   I take it to college with
>me which is 300mi from here.  And have taken it on longer trips than
>that before.  Ofcourse routine maintanence is the best to keep
>everything under control.  I have neglected my GT6 recently and it is
>noticeable when i drive it.  Maybe I am just lucky....But there is
>nothing better than a brandnew car on the side of the road broken down
>as I drive by in a car that wasn't intended to last as long as it has.
>Puts on a big grin. :)
>Tom
>
>--- SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> HA - My car supposedly only has 60K on it, of which
>> I have put on 3K. I have
>> basically replaced the car in those 3 thousand
>> miles. That includes a new
>> engine, new throwout bearing, new brake rotors and
>> pads, rebuilt rear brakes,
>> new rear end, new axle, new u joints all the way
>> around, new alternator, new
>> rack bushings, new tie rod ends, new muffler, and a
>> rebuilt carb. All of
>> those things NEEDED fixing because they were broken
>> and the car would not run
>> with them as they were. Many of those things went
>> while I was on the road, so
>> I had to drive home without a clutch, or with a
>> self-destructed engine, or
>> without my front brakes.  On top of that, wild
>> things have happened like the
>> distributor cap clips vibrating off, silt in the gas
>> tank blocking the fuel
>> pickup, the emissions equipment becoming
>> disconnected and taking out the #3
>> cylinder, and numerous other stories. All the while
>> I had been going to a
>> scheister mechanic who was ripping me off for bad
>> parts and charging for
>> services not performed. Basically, my experience
>> with Triumphs has been that
>> if you think it is bad now, it will onl get worse
>> and more expensive. And if
>> the car is running now, it will be a matter of days
>> before the next part
>> breaks, so enjoy it while you can.
>>
>> Kris Powell

Kirby T. Kenyon