RE: Spit Longevity

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spit Longevity
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:36:43 -0500
OK...

I've sat on the sidelines long enough, I guess it's time to throw in my two
cents worth.

Having worked in a Dodge dealership for 10 years, other shops for many more,
(certified ASE master mechanic) I have learned one thing.....  Car's break!
All cars break!  If you take care of them well, they still break!  If you
abuse them, they break more often.

I bought my '77 Spit when I was trying to recapture the fun of driving that I
had 25 years ago when I owned a '69 MG Midget.  I have not been disapointed.
In November of '96 I brought home a faded yellow, noisey, hardly stopping,
trerrible running, clutch grabbing, 1977 Triumph Spitfire(?) with 54k miles on
it.  The PO had bought it and when he realized what he needed to do to get it
running, decided to sell it.  At that time I didn't know a thing about
Spitfires.  I only knew one thing, cars are machines, machines can be fixed.

In the spring of '97, I went for my first drive in a shiny red Spit, rebuilt
motor, rebuilt suspension, rebuilt brakes.  It's been great!  I still have to
fix things, but I auto-x the car, drive it as often as I can, miss it when I'm
out of town and it way out-performs my brothers '79 MG Midget!

If I could, I would buy another Spit.  I just can't part with the one I've got
and there's no room for any more cars in my stable.

thanks for listening,

Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)
'95 Ford Windstar (wife's)
'91 Ford Tempo (daugther's)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'