RE: clutch bleeding on 1500

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch bleeding on 1500
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:37:59 -0500
Many thanks for the various responses.

It does look like it is possible with the correct tools and some time.

All is in fact intact - no leaks and the master is full and actually the fluid
looks pretty clean in there, around the slave is clean and looks in fact like
it has never been touched.

My major concern is the age of the fluid and type. It could possibly be very
old and never have been renewed, only topped up in all it's life. Brake fluid
is supposed to be replaced after so many years anyway as its hydroscopic.

If I can't access with my tools from underneath (I have some small 1/4 inch
tools) and a long piece of plastic pipe (so that neither I nor the car get
covered in fluid). From what Andy and Reid said it is possible and maybe only
in this area of the country or for a British guy.... I'm in both categories!

I'll consider the access panel idea if I can't get it done from underneath. If
only that would work for the clutch I'm sure a few folks would be in heaven. I
don't relish teh thought as my Dolomite in the UK (1500HL) was a real pain to
do. Same engine etc. Seats out etc.

Also I am now used to being under the car as the pinnion oil seal is done and
the diff and gear box oils were rewnewed/topped up. It is amazing how we
contort ourselves to do these things for the sake of our cars.
Also I have a special set of clothing I wear that keeps my wife happy when I
work on the car - it is black to start with so you don't see al that old dirt
oil and whatever else comes off. I could always blame the kids (3 of, all
English) or the dogs (yet another 3 of, all American) for making a mess.

Alan

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/