Re: Spitfire v. Midget power

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire v. Midget power
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:14:39 -0800 (PST)
Because the Spitfire kicks Midget butt. That's why!
Just kidding. Actually I tend to refer to this as a
gospel a lot but, the figures don't lie:

The 1994 Road & Track performance tests where they
dynoed a spitfire 1500 (low compression) engine with
varied set-ups (exhaust mainfold/tubular header, ZS
single/1.25" HS2s, stock/A6 cam etc. ) and
combinations of setups.

One of the alterations that they did was to swap the
Spitfire 1500 intake manifold with a Spitfire MkIV
manifold and the result was an increase in 8 peak
horsepower. Evidently the runners were narrowed in the
1500 to increase gas velocity for emission control.

So, it's not impossible for a manifold or an entire
exhaust system to greatly reduce the efficiency of an
engine. (I wonder how much more efficient my car would
be if I put one of those 4" diameter chrome covers,
that you see on civics, on the end of my exhaust
pipe....Vroom!)

I have the performance specs for several period (70's)
cars as well as some new roadsters on my web page. But
I don't have specs for UK midgets, though I do have UK
MGB specs. It's very sad.

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/specs.html

-Terry
'76 Spit 1500 (Why wasn't I notified that Maryland was
going to be moved north of the arctic circle?)
.....Brrrrrr!

--- Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/