Light assembly question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Light assembly question
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:03:23 +0100
Guys,

Ok, it's my turn to ask a really stupid question.

First of all, a bit of background.  Last week I discovered some
"interesting" things happening with my front side-light and indicator on my
1500.  Turn the lights on, the indicator tell-tale comes on but the side
light doesn't.  Turn the indicator on, and if you're lucky the side-light
flashes but the indicator doesn't.  That's what I mean by "interesting".

On the advice of some club members, I checked out all the earths, and
couldn't find anything wrong.  But a bit more investigation revealed that
they had pointed me at least roughly in the right direction.  I removed the
front light assembly, and with the help of an ohm-meter, discovered a
couple of thousand ohms resisatance between both the bulb holders and the
earth connection on the assembly.  Cross-checking with the wiring diagram
confirmed that this would indeed cause the symptoms I was seeing, with
current from the side-light flowing "backwards" through the indicator
circuit, lighting the tell-tale, and probably earthing through another
indicator.  I decided the best solution was to replace the assembly, so
I've ordered a new one.

Now, electrically, I have no problem with this.  My stupid question relates
to the physical fitting of this lighting assembly to the car.  The assembly
contains six screw-holes.  As far as I can tell, four of these are for
attaching the assembly to the car, and the other two are for attaching the
coloured panels onto the assembly.  The problem is that, of the four screws
which attach the assembly to the car, I only have holes on the car for two
of them - and I only have two screws.  One of the two screws is a
self-tapping type, and secures the assembly to the car without any nuts or
anything on the other side.  The other screw is also a self-tapping type,
but the hole is too big for it, so it serves no useful purpose.  My whole
lighting assembly is held in by one screw, and no nuts!

Now, I'm sure this isn't right, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be
held on.  Are there supposed to be nuts/washers?  Seems to me that there
probably should be, but I can't figure out how to get my hand round the
back to position the nuts onto the screws!  Or are these supposed to be
self-tapping screws - in which case I'll buy another one, drill a couple
more holes, and use three screws instead of one (ignoring the too-big
hole)?

Ok, I said it was a stupid question, but I'd rather not have bits of my car
fall off just because I couldn't figure out how to put a nut on the back of
screw.....

Thanks,

Dean