Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:56:32 +0100
In article <3ACF6ED2.995F52C6@home.com>, Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
writes
>Michael,
>
>The fuse holders on the Spitfire are notorious for intermittent connections and
>it sounds like your problem could be related to this. It may not be the problem
>but you can do some "no cost" work that may eliminate it. It will cost you only
>some time, but no money.
>
>The fuse holders tend to spread, or loose their tension over time. That leaves
>an "ohmic" (not zero resistance) or intermittent connection. Lights will
>flicker
>or go out, for example. Remove the fuse holder cover and remove one fuse at a
>time. Using a pair of pliers, gently squeeze the clips of the holder together
>slightly, decreasing the distance between the contacts. Insert the fuse. You
>may
>note that the re-insertion may take a little more effort and the fuse is much
>more solid in the holder. Do the same for all the fuses.

That sounds like a nice easy job, and even if it doesn't solve the
problem, it has to be worth doing anyway.   This will be my first job in
the morning.   Thanks for the tip.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: