Originality

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Originality
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:45:16 +0100
Dear All,

With the Easter weekend now upon us, the wife and child away, and four
days of uninterrupted fiddling with Carly ahead of me, I have a few
queries about original fittings in her.   She is a November '77 Spitfire
1500, FH105671, without overdrive.

Should I have a passenger footwell courtesy lamp?   I do, but John
Thomason seems to think I shouldn't (introduced at FH130000 he says).

Should I have black satin wing-mirrors and wipers?   I don't, but John
Thomason seems to think I should.   A previous owner obviously thought
the same about wipers (though not wing mirrors), because he painted the
chrome wiper arms black - very badly.

Should I have a map light?   I don't, but John Thomason seems to think I
should (I've got all the other items in the "Luxury Pack" that later
became standard fittings).

Which is the correct gear-knob for this car?   John Thomason ignores the
question, and his illustrations suggest that several different knobs
were fitted in the FH100020-FH129999 range.

And if any of you nice people have any of the following spare, or come
across them in your travels, I would dearly love to gets my hands on:

Genuine second-type 1500 steering wheel (see Thomason, p.99, Fig. 5.64).

Genuine gear-knob (see above).

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///