Re: Originality

To: OC <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2001 09:22:53 -0500
Mike,

Daffy seems to be pretty much identical spec to yours, just a very little later
 - her comm. number is FH125144.  She comes with drivers and passenger side
 footwell courtesy lights, and has the little holders for them on both sides.
 And they work!  However, I see what you mean about short cables, since I last
 took the switches out to clean the contacts.  She also has a boot light, which
 also works (well, some of the time).  There is a little switch built into the
 left hand boot hinge - the hinge presses it, disconnecting the switch, when
 closed.  Wires lead from a live supply (from who knows where) to the light,
 then from the light to the switch, which completes the circuit to earth when
 the boot is opened.

Wipers and wing mirrors should be black.  The flaking paint on the wiper arms
 may be Triumphs fault not necessarily the DPO, as Daffys are similarly flaky.
 The black trim items (escutcheons) behind the outside door handles should also
 be black - I have seen cars with polished metal ones (and even one with one of
 each, being restored by a work colleague of mine).

Daffy does also have the map light.  The switch on this seems to have died long
 ago,was re-wired by PO to be permanantly on.  I find if I loosen the bulb
 holder it turns off, when I need it I re-tighten the bulb holder!

I had no idea there were different gear knobs within a particular model.
 Rimmers only lists two knobs for single-rail boxes (i.e. all 1500s), one each
 for O/D or non-O/D.  Each of Mk 1, 2, 3 and IV seem to have their own
 gearknobs designs, although the Mk IV with O/D is the same as 1500 with O/D
 (although non-O/D knobs are different).  Then again, Rimmers may be trying to
 make their own life simple by not carrying every possible variation.  Or the
 different gearknobs pictured may have been dealer-fitted or after-market
 accessories.  I have never met an aftermarket knob with an O/D switch in it,
 although there seem to be hundreds without.

Try ringing TRGB about original steering wheels and gear knobs - they break a
 lot of cars, and have a stock-room full of dismantled components that I spend
 happy hours sifting through!  Chances are they will have an old one they can
 sell you, and they tend to be very cheap on their second-hand stuff (or maybe
 they just do that to me because I am such a frequent customer!  Or they just
 feel sorry for me!!!)  Then you will have to pop in on the way, and Daffy can
 meet Carly!

Richard & Daffy

///