Re: Re: Originality

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>, OC
Subject: Re: Re: Originality
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:51:33 -0600
She also has a boot light, which
>  also works (well, some of the time).  There is a little switch built into the
>  left hand boot hinge - the hinge presses it, disconnecting the switch, when
>  closed.  Wires lead from a live supply (from who knows where) to the light,
>  then from the light to the switch, which completes the circuit to earth when
>  the boot is opened.

I was searching for this in the dark last night! Now that I have a better idea,
Nige just might joint the ranks of "Spitfires with working bool lights"!

> Wipers and wing mirrors should be black.  The flaking paint on the wiper arms
>  may be Triumphs fault not necessarily the DPO, as Daffys are similarly flaky.

I touch mine up twice a year (well, I drive a lot!) with a flat, black engine
spray paint I get at the local auto supply store. I buy those cheap make up
brushes, spray a bit of paint into the cap and have a go! It must look ok,
because I've had neighbours ask me to touch up theirs!

>  The black trim items (escutcheons) behind the outside door handles should
>also
>  be black - I have seen cars with polished metal ones (and even one with one
>of
>  each, being restored by a work colleague of mine).

I believe (and someone will correct me, I'm sure) the polished metal ones were
correct on MkIVs. I think the polished metal looks snazzy, but the black is
correct for cars like Daffy, Carly and Nigel.

> I had no idea there were different gear knobs within a particular model.
>  Rimmers only lists two knobs for single-rail boxes (i.e. all 1500s), one each
>  for O/D or non-O/D.  Each of Mk 1, 2, 3 and IV seem to have their own
>  gearknobs designs, although the Mk IV with O/D is the same as 1500 with O/D
>  (although non-O/D knobs are different).  Then again, Rimmers may be trying to
>  make their own life simple by not carrying every possible variation.  Or the
>  different gearknobs pictured may have been dealer-fitted or after-market
>  accessories.  I have never met an aftermarket knob with an O/D switch in it,
>  although there seem to be hundreds without.

I thought that all o/d gear knobs for 1500s were created equal! As for a
regular gear shift-I found an exact reproduction in the Roadster Factory
catalog at Christmas time. And then I found it cheaper on eBay! I have probably
4 other gear shift knobs, none of which I was ever thrilled with because I
remembered what the original looked like on my first 1977 spit. And now I have
it!

> Try ringing TRGB about original steering wheels and gear knobs

It seems to me that the pre-76 have the split spokes, while the 77,78 and some
79s have solid spokes. I have solid spokes-as did the two '77s I had
previously. And the center on all three of these wheels had (have, in the case
of Nigel), a black plastic 'disc', underneath is a nice little place to stash
something! In the middle of this flat sort of hard plastic disc, is a plastic
button-about the size of a nickel, foil backed and stamped "BL". Mine came off
and was lost. Last year when I decided I wasn't going to find the same wheel,
and that I really didn't like any of the new wheels (or the price tags on
designs I didn't like!), I had the spokes polished-under that ugly grey-ish
paint are beautiful, shiny metal spokes! In the center of the black plastic
center disc, I couldn't find another "BL" button, so I put one of those lapel
buttons that the dealers used to give out that's a rondel with "SPITFIRE"
across it-it looks super!

The leather is shot-I had it filled and re-dyed, but it's 23+ year old leather,
so I'm going to take measurements and have Wheelskins make a leather cover for
it that I can stitch on.

Oh-and the shiny spokes look great with the new chrome bezels on the gauges.
And the 4 screws on the fascia? I found almost exact replacements for them at
Pep Boys-and chromed-like to match the bezels and spokes!

HTH,

Laura G.

///