Re: Fw: Update from the newbie

To: "Carter Shore" <clshore@yahoo.com>, " David Lover"
Subject: Re: Fw: Update from the newbie
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:53:58 -0500
Does a larger filter dissipate enough additional heat to substitute for an
oil cooler?  Seems like asking a lot.  Yes, a larger filter may offer more
filter media, but not necessarily.  I seem to remember reading a
dissertation on oil filters some time back, and the amount of media varied
much more significantly than the size of the can would indicate.  More oil
capacity in a larger filter I'll buy.  My point was that for street
applications a quality filter that fits, along with the proper oil, is the
most important part.  An oil cooler is a good addition when you can afford
it.  And yes, this is all just my opinion.

Soap box is now stowed.

BillG

SNIP

> SpitListers,
> I always used the Ford oil filters on my racecars, the
> can size does make a difference:
> 1) More volume of oil in the system means lower oil
> temperatures. Cheaper than a custom oil sump.
> 2) Larger can means more filter media, more surface
> area to trap impurities, less pumping loss through the
> filter. Cheaper than a high volume oil pump.
> 3) Larger can means more external surface area to
> dissipate heat. Cheaper than an oil cooler.
>
> Of course, my racecar had all three of the hardware
> pieces mentioned above, but I still ran the bigger
> can.
>
> So does an increase of 1/2 qt of oil volume make a
> difference?
>
> Well, that's a ratio of 5 to 4.5, or about 11%.
>
> That can make a lot of difference, IMHO.
>
> Carter Shore
>
> --- BillG <wrgingerich@qwest.net> wrote:
> > ... I know
> > some people have even used the Ford standard FL-1A.
>
> > ... I
> > don't think the size of
> > the filter "can" makes much difference.

///