Re: Lighter flywheels

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Lighter flywheels
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
Nolan,
I cannot remember what's on my 69 GT6+, I'll have a
look this weekend.

I'm working on a turbo 1500 project, of which step 1
is to implement a Ford EEC-IV Engine Control Unit
system. I want the fuel injection, ignition control,
and programmability, and this ECU has been hacked.
Plus, it's cheap, available, and easy to get parts.

Anyway, I must fit the harmonic damper/pulley from the
donor car, as the ECU gets it's base timing from the
cast-in cogs on it.

Turns out not to be such a difficult task. I can
fabricate an adaptor out of 2" dia steel that allows a
simple bolt on.

Only problem is, it uses a serpentine belt, so I'll
have to convert the water pump and alternator pulley
(or use the stock alt).

I have not heard of too many Spitfire crankshaft
breakage failures (perhaps the rod bearings act as a
'fuse'!), but reducing the torsional stresses can only
be a good thing, especially under boost.

I'm sure that there must be some stock crank dampers
with normal V belts that could be adapted for use on
Spitfire/GT6/TR6 motors.

Carter

http://personals.yahoo.com