Re: Lighter flywheels

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <clshore@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Lighter flywheels
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:03:42 -0400
Do you know Carter if the GT6 used a rubber ringed pulley/balancer
assembly?  I'd thought they just used a standard steel pulley, but another
person here said they didn't, and looking in the Vicky Brit catalog they show
a picture of a pulley that looks like a harmonic balancer type, and they
don't have a part number for it (though they do for the steel Spitfire type).

I haven't pursued it, but this has my curiousity for a 1500 engine.  I
don't know if having a damper would help that crank or not, but if it
turned out that I could fit one to it easily, ala GT-6, I'd be inclined to
research the effects it would have, and possibly try it.

>>> Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com> 10/18 11:28 AM >>>

I don't think the GT6 front pulley is a torsional
damper, and I don't think it's externally balanced
either, so technically, it's just a pulley. It does
get balanced individually, but also often gets balance
holes drilled as part of the rotating assembly
(pulley, crank, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.).