Re: Pinch and a punch...

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Pinch and a punch...
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:07:06 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> Fuel guage - seems to work backwards - but even then doesnt make any sense
>
> Temperature gauge - seems to just go all the way to hot - on startup

Hi James,
    This sounds l;ike a mis-match between voltage regulated and unregulated
components. The sender and gauge must be matched, as must the temperature
sender and gauge. As both of these are misbehaving, I suspect the voltage
regulator itself is suspect or disconnected. I can't remember the specific
behaviour for certain mismatches, but I have seen most combinations and some
very strange readings over the years......

> Gearbox oil - feels way too stiff - like its full of engine oil or something

Very odd - the 3-rail is (IMHO) a much nicer gearchange than the single rail.
Worth draining the oil to see what comes out I think.

> Boot lock - ignition key doesnt work - buy new lock?

I'm not certain about the MkIII Spitfire, but most Triumphs of this age were
using 2 keys. The ignition switch and doors should use a single key, while
another key operated the boot lock and glovebox (the latter not applicable with
the Spitfire).
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--