Spitfire cylinder head

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire cylinder head
From: "STEVE STERN" <MACHINEMD@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:17:25 -0400
Hi All,
I've been a quiet follower for about a year now and picked up many tips to
keep my 1976 Spitfire running. At this time I need to pick the experienced
minds. She's running nice with a Weber DGV carb, mildly ported head, Mallory
dual point distributor, Petronics flame thrower coil, Pacesetter exhaust
manifold and a Header Aero-Chamber muffler. I'd like to get a little more
get-up-and-go out of her. First I'm trying to determine if the head has ever
been planed and can't find the standard thickness/height nowhere. Can anybody
help me out with the measurement? I'm hoping to pick up a little power by
first trying out roller rockers for the summer, and then maybe having the head
planed next winter to up the compression ratio. Also, how much can be planed
and still run her on regular gas? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve