Re: Spitfire cylinder head

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire cylinder head
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:02:56 -0400
My MK IV factory parts book shows the following part numbers for the lower
valve collars:

105118   for engines up to FH25000E, FL25000E, etc.
105118   for engines FK25001UE and future
157510   for engines FK25001E and future

I ordered 10 of part 105118 from TRF for about 59 cents each. My engine
(FK26193UE) had
identical-looking collars.  They are stamped sheet metal, sort of like a little
upside-down
soup bowl with a big hole in the middle.

The raised portion fits inside the outer spring and positions it.  The inner
spring rests
upon the raised portion.  The inner spring's ID is just a bit bigger than the
valve guide,
so the guide positions it.  BTW, the parts book clearly shows part 105118 being
used
with both single springs (on the older engines) and dual springs (on the newer
engines).

Feel free to forward this info to TRF.

Also, my 1990 edition TRF catalog shows part 105118 being used for 1500 engines,
with single springs.  The spring in question is part 157229, which is also the
outer
spring for the later MK IV 1300 UE-series engines.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit