Re: coil over shocks for the rear end

To: mikeross <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: coil over shocks for the rear end
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:01:45 -0700
mikeross wrote:

> Huw,
>
> My Mk1 Spitfire has the conventional leaf spring, but the previous owner had
> installed a small coil over shock that fits the original shock mounts with
> no interference.  I assume he did this because the leaf spring was sagging
> and it was easier to install these coil overs to give additional support.
> Unfortunately, I don't know the brand.  I can look closer tomorrow to see if
> there are any identifying marks.

I can see how that might be possible using the leaf spring as an upper
control arm.  But it does little more than adding spring tension.  If
you were to add the adjustable length axle and both upper and lower
control arms, I don't see how it would be possible to use the stock
mounting point for attaching a coil-over.

The Grassroots Motorsport Ro-Spit uses a modified GT6 upright and had to
make some pretty severe body modifications to fit a proper coil-over
shock.  Check out some of the issues around the April/May time frame to
see what I am talking about.

Joe