RE: tales from a 1700 mile journey (long, low LBC content)

To: "'kturk@ala.net'" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: RE: tales from a 1700 mile journey (long, low LBC content)
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:07:14 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I like the invitation to debate and respect your opinion entirely. The idea
that law abiding citizens would step aside to aloow law breakers to do
their thing......  well, your right, of course.

The problem I've always had is that I have a great respect for driving and
for the road. I take the job very seriously and give it 100% of my
concentration; I unrealistically expect every other driver out there to do
the same. When they don't, I get upset (but NO road rage).

There was an interesting editorial in Road & Track a few years back: if we
took the speedometer out of your car, at what speed would you drive? I
tried this by blocking off the speedometer with paper and driving a
friend's car that was unfamiliar to me. Guess what, I naturally drove at
80-85 on the highway. I feel that this speed is within my limits as a
driver and the limits of the car in question (braking, handling, steering
etc.). other people will have different limits depending on their skill and
the vehicle they are driving. My mother in law has a beat up old buick that
I'm not comfortable driving at 65.

Appreciate the response and the candid opinion. The laws exist for a
reason, you are right to protect them. I just think that the level of
driver education should be higher in the U.S.A. and in Canada too!

Daniel