Re: Car show judging

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <type79@ix.netcom.com>, <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Car show judging
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:59:47 -0700
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I kinda agree... and I kinda don't... some folks (not me) have enough money
to afford the best of everything... and though I envy them sometimes... I
sure won't take anything away from a beautiful car.... someone did that
work... sure they could write the checks... but they also did their home
work to find a shop of that quality....

The Street Rod community is full of this argument.... each with his own
opinion... and on the end of the day... Magazines write about the quality
cars 9 out of ten times.... the big difference is that here in our hobby we
value a Do it yourselfer... but we also have to value restoration shops
that give folks with limited talent..( or motivation or whatever) the
quality cars that all of us enjoy seeing.....

Just a thought and a Plug for shops like the Nock's out west... (ps I have
never seen their work but I know they have the right attitude and value all
the things I do... and are most willing to share information)
Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
> To: Lancer7676@aol.com; kturk@ala.net; type79@ix.netcom.com;
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
> Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>; MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Car show judging
> Date: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 5:23 PM
>
> Flame sheilds not needed. I vote for your interpretations. Drivers and
> DIY are big scores in my book.
>
> Larry

> >In a message dated 9/20/99 3:05:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kturk@ala.net
> >writes:
> >
> ><< one of the reasons I don't go to local car shows is the inability of
folks
> > to determine what they are looking at... >>
> >

> >I agree with Keith here--I have been asked to judge cars at shows as a
> >participant and am always at a loss to judge one great car against
another.
> >Two things I like to know, and use prolifically to judge a car in my
most
> >amateruish way:  First, I look at the tires and the pedals to determine
if
> >it
> >is a driver.  I give drivers higher points than trailer queens.
Secondly, I
> >like to know whether the work was done by the owner or whether he/she
had
> >big
> >bucks and paid someone else to deliver a perfect specimen to them.
Trailer