Re: Car show judging

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Car show judging
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:58:20 -0400
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Folks,
I will respond as an ex-concours judge. Quite simply, concours judging
evaluates the car, not the owner nor who performed the work.

As a judge, I would not deduct for normal road dirt.

In strict concours judging, whether a car is driven to an event or trailered
has no bearing as long as it meets all concours criteria. Part of that
criteria, at least for Healeys,  includes mechanical operation of the vehicle.

If there are multiple entrants that have identical attributes or scores, then
they should receive the same scoring and the same awards.

Remember, the intent is to restore a vehicle in such a manner that it is
representative of what the vehicle looked like and operated at the end of the
assembly line with some allowance for period options.

Most people get tired of seeing the same vehicle win time after time and many
others have greater appreciation for a driven vehicle over a car that is always
trailered or a checkbook restoration.

Basically I concur with those opinions, but there are times when it is
reasonable for a vehicle should be trailered.

For example, if I were to attend a meet several states away, I would be
inclined to trailer my Sprite. I have no interest in buzzing at redline on the
highway for 5 or more hours straight nor making a one day trip into 2 or 3, and
my car can buzz with the best of the 3000's. These cars weren't highway
cruisers to begin with and in addition to that, back surgery makes extended
road trips in the Sprite somewhat painful.

Anyone who has seen our '62 Sprite knows what a special car it is. But quite
frankly, with all of the flaming on this list about trailered cars, it has left
me less than enthusiastic about attending these far away meets with the car at
all. So we attend meets closer to home rather than be subject to turned-up
noses for no reason other than the fact that we arrived with a trailer and for
what I consider with good reason.

Jay Fishbein, CT
AN-5
HAN-6