Re: Car show judging

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car show judging
From: Dwgwater@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:09:19 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Peter Egan wrote a piece in R&T in the last year or so that talked about old
cars as survivors...(it was the 63 Caddy he had as I recall) I haven't read
it in a while, but the gist was was that unlike 99% of the cars mass produced
on the production line, the cars that somehow escaped rust, crashes, neglect
or whatever and avoided the crusher have earned a certain amount of respect,
simply by having beaten the odds.  I haven't explained it nearly as well as
Peter, but perhaps that's what explains the vague sense that those cars which
rolled off the assembly line into a trailer, museum or whatever haven't quite
earned the "survivor" status: those cars are fascinating to be sure, but
somehow different from the cars which by luck or whatever earned their
stripes out on the road and are still around.

Dave Groundwater
70 Midget with the original (shredded) soft top