Re: Tie Downs - Part 2

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Downs - Part 2
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:04:52 -0400
> On 8/12/00 11:00 PM, William M. Gilroy at wmgilroy@avaya.com wrote:

> Robb Cutler wrote:
>>
>> I mounted two pressure-treated 4x4 on the floor of the trailer so that when
>> I drive the Sprite into the trailer, I have about a 1/2" gap on either side
>> of the tires.

>> I'm going to do one safety chain to the rear axle (being careful of the
>> brake lines) just as a precaution.
>>
>> What do you think?  Am I totally off-base here or will this work?
>>

> I am not an expert but I would worry about the car bouncing.  I am what
> happens
> if you hit a series of nasty potholes at speed?  Could the car move forward
> if you slam on the brakes?  I would go for something more secure (in my eyes)
> as if a bad thing is going to happen, it will happen to me.  Like I said I am
> no expert but I would want to secure at least 2 of the wheels, or more likely
> all 4.

I think it's unlikely that the car could go over a 4x4.  But I worry about
the bouncing too -- hence the tie down as a precautionary measure....

Of course, even if it does so, it won't make it all the way over the 4x4
without hitting a wall... remember I've only got 2" of clearance front and
back...

Regards,
Robb
'62 Sprite