Re: Tie Downs - Part 2

To: "Robb Cutler" <robb@nne.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Downs - Part 2
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:58:21 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: "Spridget List" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
> What do you think?  Am I totally off-base here or will this work?

I'll be blunt, Robb, you are way off base. I've been towing race cars for
about 10 years. You've got to get yourself some ratcheting tie downs. Use 2
on each end. Configure them like Bob Spruck suggested, crossed on each end
so the car doesn't move side to side as well as forward or rearward. Also, a
chain wrapped around the rear axle and mounted to the trailer frame is a
must.

Use the rear axle and front tie downs to connect to. Attach them to a
substantial anchor in the trailer. These anchors should be automotive style
tie down anchors (available from many supply houses - I have bookmarks).
They should be welded in or bolted in with Grade 8 bolts to the steel frame
of the trailer. DO NOT simply mount them to the floor if it is wood. It will
not hold.

If you use the 4x4 method, at best, you're going to have a damaged car, and
at worst, the car may come through the trailer walls into your tow vehicle.

If you think this is all overkill, well, it's your car, trailer, tow vehicle
and most importantly, your family. Just some friendly advice from a  fellow
Spridget lover who's lost a car off a trailer. And it only weighed 900 lb.
and I was only doing 30 MPH and not in a collision or emergency stop
situation.

Tom and Sharon Shirley - Chattanooga, TN
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/