RE: 1275 clutch fluid line

To: "Dave Hiley" <dhiley@cadvision.com>, "WFO Herb" <froggi@cdsnet.net>, <RBHouston@aol.com>
Subject: RE: 1275 clutch fluid line
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:44:33 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I have a dual-circuit master cylinder and late-model brakes on my Bugeye. I
replace the brake fluid once or twice a year with new Castrol, whenever it
starts looking cloudy in the M/C. I have never had any problem with the
front calipers. The rear cylinders have done fine also, though they did go
bad once some time back when the car sat for a few years.

But the darned Master cylinder leaks. Ruined one brake switch. The first
time this happened, ALL of the brake fluid ran out on the floor while the
car sat for a few weeks. I replaced the M/C with a new one, and it happened
again about a year later, and I replaced that M/C also with an Advance Auto
rebuild.

The current M/C leaks a little down the pedal, enough that I check the fluid
level shadow on the plastic cylinder every time I drive it, and have to add
some fluid about once a month. I'm tired of throwing money at an intractable
problem, so I just live with it. I really like that idea of sticking a
sponge up in the pedal box! I think I'll do that.

Somebody suggested once that my brake pedal is misaligned and is causing
wear on the M/C bore. I changed the pedal box. No joy.

One suggestion, born of experience: if your dual-circuit M/C is leaking,
check your brake lights real often. You never know when the switch will go
bad on you from brake fluid contamination.

Tom Zuchowski