Re: Engine on Ebay

To: busyrider@springmail.com, bquietroy@neo.rr.com
Subject: Re: Engine on Ebay
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:32:20 EST
Cc: davriker@pacbell.net, dwramsey@worldnet.att.net, BritishCarMan@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/22/2001 9:41:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
busyrider@springmail.com writes:

<< There will always be some nuts out there that will pay the mucho dinero
(sp) for a quality restoration, but most of the cars out there have  work
done that at best would prove the owners to be on the side of unknowingly
being full of shxt.

Pretty pompous letter, Fred.  You would write well on a wine list where
everyone looks down their noses at those of us who just like a good,
reasonably priced Chianti and not the $35 a bottle stuff.  I think all the
guys on here who keep these cars running and on the road to be admired by
onlookers should be credited for their efforts.  There are many good solid
ways to "fix" something and it does not always require replacement of the old
with the new.  A checkbook mechanic probably doesnt give a shxt (your
expletive) at how much money he/she pours into their car, but many of us
drive these little cars because they are relatively economical and easy to
fix and rebuild, and somewhat tightly fit our budgets.  They respond
perfectly to the ways we work on them.  We have had, many moons ago, a
discussion about the "greater than thou" attitude of many Big Healey and Jag
groups directed toward our "ilk".  I have not personally experienced this but
many have, as evidenced by some of the replies to that thread.

All in all, without generous checkbook in hand, I think my repairs and
rebuilds, with my guru mechanic looking over my shoulder, are as good as most
wrench monkeys.  At least I am satisfied thus far, and I am really the only
one I have to satisfy in this realm.  Smell that, Fred?  8^)

--David C.