Re: Cosmoline?...

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Cosmoline?...
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 21:49:40 -0500
Cc: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Nolan,

What number Lubriplate is this?

Paul A

FROM:   Nolan Penney, INTERNET:npenney at erols.com
TO:     "Paul A. Asgeirsson", PAsgeirsson
CC:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
        Gerard Chateauvieux, INTERNET:pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
DATE:   2/9/01 9:36 PM

Re:     Re: Cosmoline?...

Not only approved, but still being made today.  You can buy it all premixed
and
in can at your local tractor supply store.  It's called LubriPlate.  Keeps
plow
blades from sticking in the fields.

Never thought to use it on my leaf springs.  I don't know why I never
thought
of it, but I never had.  I just usually sprayed the leafs with silicone or
whatever struck my fancy when I do oil changes.

"Paul A. Asgeirsson" wrote:

> Hi Gerard,
>
> I hate to admit to this, but I was hanging around gas stations and
garages
> long before cars came equipped with coil springs!  It was a common
practice
> to grease cars every 1000 miles and check all lubricants,  you think only
> Brit cars leaked?  and the other thing that was done was to paint the
sides
> of leaf springs with a special concoction.  This was an extra charge
item,
> usually.  Many springs on cars were wrapped with metal sleeves that had
> grease fittings on them, cinchy to lube, others were wrapped in canvas
type
> stuff, best left to the dealer.
>
> Anyway, the stuff that was used to paint the spring sides was made up of
> chassis lube, LOTS of graphite powder and enough motor oil to thin it out
> so you could mix it up and it would run, sneaky like, between the spring
> leaves. All mixed up in about a 1 quart oil can, 1/2 full or so.   It was
> painted on with a bristle shorten paint brush, continually dipping it
into
> the stuff and brushing vigorously onto the springs.  Simple formula,
worked
> well.  No high tech here, just good results.  Wonder if this would be an
> EPA apprved way today?
>
> Regards, Paul A
>
> FROM:   Gerard Chateauvieux, INTERNET:pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
> TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
> CC:     Bryan Vandiver, INTERNET:bryan.vandiver@sun.com
> DATE:   2/9/01 6:47 PM
>
> Re:     Cosmoline?...
>

> When asking for suggestions for preserving my leaf springs, someone
> suggested trying cosmoline. I've since come to learn that this is used to
> preserve cars and engines for transportation... and also for guns.
(Sorry,