Re: Better brakes?

To: PilotRob@webtv.net (Robert E. Shlafer), dan.dwelley@ps.ge.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Better brakes?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:59:04 -0400
Drilled rotors aren't necessarily better than stock, either.  Brakes
function best within a certain heat range.  Too cool and there isn't
enough "drag" slow you well.  Too hot and the pads start to melt and
gas off, leading to fade.

The advantage of drilled rotors is greater heat dissipation and reduced
fade.  However, under normal conditions with decent pads, you aren't
going to get the brakes hot enough that fade will be a problem, and if
the rotors stay too cool, you actually have reduced braking
effectiveness.

Cheapest (and often best) braking upgrade is a thorough going-over of
the stock system, followed by careful selection of pads for the
application.

My $0.02...

Chris K.