Re: Re[2]: getting the stereo to work

To: "Steven Michelsen" <stevenm@optonline.net>, "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: getting the stereo to work
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:13:51 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
The continually hot 12v line is usually there to maintain the clock, station
memory, etc. while car is switched off. The switched 12v line is the one
that (should) be supplying the main power, although there is no reason why a
radio couldn't be designed that used the constant line to supply the bulk of
the power and the switched power (further controlled by the radio power
switch) could activate an internal relay. But that would be too complicated.

Anyway, there probably really isn't any reason why you can't simply connect
both leads to a constant 12v source. It's just that the radio would work
even when the car is turned off, which might be handy if you want to listen
while working on other parts of the car! ;-)

If you are using a multimeter rather than just a voltmeter, you could also
try measuring the current being drawn when connected as directed. It really
does sound like an insufficient current problem the way you've described it.

HTH!

Eddie
1971 Midget "Bebop"