Re: Ribcase gearbox question

To: "David Camp" <dxcamp@bsink.com>,
Subject: Re: Ribcase gearbox question
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:50:27 -0700
Hi David,

That "22" type piece and it's spring is just a shift lever anti rattle
device.  Best kept in a baggie with it's small spring until the trans/engine
combo is in the car.

If the trans is still on the bench or floor, not hooked up to the engine, it
takes a lot of pressure to overcome the spring device that keeps you from
shifting into reverse.  Having it hooked up to the engine lump provides a
lot of inertia.  Likely there's nothing wrong.  Try this: Put the shifter in
place, put the retainer on with a couple of screws, and with the shifter in
it's neutral position, whack it pretty hard to the far right then pull it
into the reverse position.  When you overcome that heavy spring, then you
can get it in reverse by pulling the lever back.

Try that routine rather than starting to disassemble it!!

Later, Paul A