Re: that's _darn_ the torpedos :)

To: bradshaw@utdallas.edu, LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: that's _darn_ the torpedos :)
From: Keith Bradshaw <bradshaw@utdallas.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:36:02 -0600 (CST)

          I understand the Chevy Monza situation, my point is: How did
Chevrolet and
         the dealerships represent the engine size to the consumer? Perhaps my
351ci
          substitition analogy in a modern Mustang is far fetched, but how
would you
         feel if you were told you were getting one engine and you got another
         instead, wouldn't there be a huge liability issue present?- Hank

        Hank,

        GM had gotten into this in the early seventies.  I remember a
markieting flack
        saying no one really cared about the engines but the interiors and body
styles
        were the difference.  About 2 years later GM was hit by lawsuits from
irate
        Olds buyers who found that instead of a Rocket V-8 they had 307 and 350
Chevies.

        The advertising said they were getting Rocket v-8's.  My guess is the
Monza
        buyer was never told the size of the engine just that it was a v-8.

        mBrad